Pages

Monday, November 5, 2018

Jealousy, That Green Eyed Monster

One of my co-workers' last day working in our office was last Wednesday. She's expecting her third child in March and has two other small children. She only worked part-time in the afternoons so her paycheck would have gone to pay for daycare so she and her husband decided she might as well stay home.

While I'm not jealous of the fact she will have three children under the age of 3 years old (she has a set of twins that are about a year and a half), I am jealous of the fact that she won't have to work outside the home.

I really like my job. It's probably the best job I've had in years, but I don't like the 25 minute commute one way on the highway especially in the winter weather. I also don't like that I have a really hard time getting time off that I want because I have to cover for a co-worker when she's out of the office and she's the person who approves vacation day requests so if she and I want the same day, guess who gets the scheduled day off and who doesn't.

But if I didn't have to work outside the home, I could -

      1.) Write more instead of trying to fit writing time in around the job, appointments for myself, my mom, and lately, the cat, and family members who just drop in to visit and take up my writing time.

     2.)  Be there for my mom for whatever she might need whenever she might need me. She's in her early 80's and in good health (thank goodness), but there are some things she's starting to find difficult to do and is stubborn and will struggle to do things instead of leaving them for me to do when I get home from work.

      3.)  I'd love to be able to volunteer a couple of days a week. Right now, with my schedule that's just not an option.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Yep, I'm jealous of my former co-worker but I really hate that I am. With three small children, it's not like she'll be sitting around doing nothing all day, but I can't help the way I feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment