Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

Writing...or Not

There have been times when I haven't written when I'd scheduled myself to. Sometimes it's because of family related things, work related things, sickness, and/or the loss of a loved one. And sometimes it's because I just didn't have the energy that day.

On those days when I didn't make my daily page count, I would usually feel guilty that I allowed something to interfere with my writing time. Then this week I stumbled across a blog post written by J.H. Moncrieff titled Writers, We Need To Stop Saying This.

It made me feel like it's okay if I don't make my page count every day as long as I'm doing my best. I think the same concept can be applied to everything we're attempting to work on whether it be writing, exercising on a regular basis, watching our weight, etc. So if you're struggling with any of these, know that we all are or do at one point or another.

2 comments:

  1. I used to get incredible anxiety after I joined a critique group after I first started writing about five (maybe six) years ago. It was insane how people could write _____ words a day when I barely managed 250. I can't do pages; I probably would've spiraled into depression if I did.

    The last story I wrote is languishing in my Dropbox because I have no desire to revisit it right now. Instead, I'm putting together bits and pieces for two different stories, one paranormal and the other contemporary. Both are nothing like what I've written before: sweet and sensual!

    Thank you for this post. It makes me happy to know that it's okay in our industry to go for periods without writing, without meeting a quota and not feel ashamed about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It made me feel better when I read it too. I suffered a sudden and very devastating loss of a family member just over a year ago. It was all I could do to get out of bed and function each day much less write. It was bit disheartening to read about other writers who wrote through their grief when I couldn't. In a way, it made me feel even worse.

      Delete