Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Writing and Reading

I love to read. Most times, I'd rather spend time with a book than with people. I'm an introvert so that may explain things. In my experience, most writers love to read so I find it disheartening when I hear writers say they're too busy to read.

Most writers started out as readers so I have a hard time understanding how a writer isn't be able to find time to read. Having a hard time fitting in life's responsibilities, family responsibilities, and writing time, I do understand. It's something I struggle with myself.

My reading time was cut down drastically when I decided to seriously pursue publication. I used to read between 8 and 10 books a month, not counting the odd novella or short story here and there. (Maybe I should say here that I watch very little television. While most people like to relax by watching TV, I prefer to read.) Before, I thought nothing of sitting on the sofa on a Saturday or Sunday, or sometimes both days, and reading for two or three hours.

Now I read between 2 and 4 books a month depending on how much writing related things eat into my reading time. Now reading for an hour at a time is a luxury.

I realize we all prioritize things by importance in our lives, but in my opinion for a writer to be successful, reading is almost as important as writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment