Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

What is success?

"Being a success is up to you."  I read this somewhere a few days ago. I'm probably paraphrasing it badly because I was sure I'd remember the exact quote and who said it so I didn't write it down. Needless to say, my memory isn't quite as good as I think it is. LOL.

While I love a good motivational quote and have quite a few of them written down and tacked up in my workspace, this one spoke to me. Short, succinct, it says a great deal. Now, I suppose one could argue success isn't dependent on just one's self because other aspects come into play. This is true. A lot of getting published by one of the big 6 publishers today depends on getting on the right desk in front of the right agent at the right time.

But in order to have something to send out, first you have to sit down and write the best possible story you can. That's what the above quote means to me. If I don't bother to write or write only when inspiration or the mood strikes, it could take months, perhaps years, to finish my manuscript if it gets completed at all. Years between books will hardly make me a success so essentially my success in the publishing business is really up to me. If I write two books a year, keep honing my craft, keep submitting/querying various agents and/or publishers then my chances of success increase dramatically.

So on those days when you're feeling tired and just don't want to do whatever it is you're trying to be successful in, think of this quote and work on your dream even if you can only squeeze out a few minutes to work on it. You never know what those few minutes added all together might bring you.

No comments:

Post a Comment