Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Solitude


My day job can be noisy with various conversations taking place outside my office, ringing phones, the clickety clack of keyboards, and sounds of the printer and photocopier working continuously.  While I don't require quiet when I'm writing or revising, (I listen to classical music) I do feel that I need a bit of solitude every day. Just 15 minutes helps center me, allowing me to wind down at the end of the day.

I sometimes use the time to think about my WIP, about the plot, dialogue, and layering within scenes. Or I use the time to think about what I want to accomplish the next day both in the day job and in my writing career.

But most of the time, I try to use the time to just...be. To sit quietly and breathe, to listen to the birds, the wind through the wind chimes next door, the buzz of the cicadas, to empty my mind of all the things I need to do and the worries that come with daily life. It's amazing how doing this changes my whole outlook when I've had a bad day or am feeling particularly stressed about something.

Maybe Mary Chapin Carpenter and I have more in common that I would have ever guessed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment