Pages

Monday, March 25, 2019

Watch and Learn

I watched the movie, Green Book, this past Saturday. First, I'd like to take a moment and rave over this movie. It was wonderful. I can easily see why it won a number of academy awards.

When I watch a movie, I watch it for the enjoyment of it. I don't watch it to try and learn how to convey emotion, or how to set a scene, or to figure out the rhythms of snappy dialogue or any other technique that would help me write a story. Some writers do do this. I don't because I usually get caught up in the story and forget to focus on whatever technique I was trying to watch for.

Without even being conscious of it until after the movie ended, I realized Green Book is a great example of showing the evolution of a character. Dr. Shirley starts out very rigid and controlling. Tony starts out as a guy who is barely hanging on without actually breaking the law while trying to provide for his family. He is all about himself and what he wants to do. As the story progresses and their friendship develops and grows, each man also develops and grows. You can actually see the change in Tony's personality at the end of the story. 

I don't want to get into too much detail and ruin the story for any one who hasn't seen it so I'll end my post here with one caveat. See this movie. Even if it wasn't on your To Be Watched List, see the movie. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment